HealthSherpa strongly believes in creating inclusive, equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which might be vital to our tradition and work. We’re excited to function our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the way in which as much as their tenure and progress. On this submit, hear from Vice President of Product Administration Patricia Pichardo, who opens up about why she mentioned sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day appears like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to lots of change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged so much by recruiters and there have been attention-grabbing jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor immediately earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven surroundings, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So after I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually awakened one thing within me. With mates and different volunteers, we had been in a position to take action a lot – we helped folks get out of the Island, helped feed youngsters who had been going with out meals, helped folks get entry to primary wants.
After this expertise, I began serious about different points that weren’t essentially immediately impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this position at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I obtained sick, and I didn’t have satisfactory insurance coverage? That may be a actual situation, an actual drawback. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to range, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this position.
There have been just a few issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the subsequent individual, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and the entire folks on the interview workforce had been very candid with me about what the actual issues had been, the actual wants had been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa regarded like.
- The belief. The workforce trusted one another in a really implicit method. Later within the course of, I obtained to satisfy a few of my teammates, friends and direct stories. The conversations felt natural and real with the workforce as effectively. It didn’t really feel just like the workforce was being avoided the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned lots of belief within the workforce, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually snug about one another’s positions. Once I spoke to George (Chief Government Officer), he mentioned that he didn’t must assess whether or not I’d be a superb product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply wished to determine whether or not I’d be a superb match for the corporate typically, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this position.
I get up within the morning and work out no less than 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, establishing my conferences, and making certain that I’m arrange for achievement for the remainder of the day. I often have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an ideal combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the correct questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the correct selections. Normally my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this may really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day alone, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to be taught – I go away the day nearly day-after-day feeling energized and like I’m studying. I go away the times very glad.
I’ve discovered that there are issues that we take without any consideration, that aren’t as simple as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no one goes by way of life with no need it, with out taking part on this system ultimately. There may be a lot to be taught as a shopper – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing primary, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick sooner or later, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the house is actually essential. There are issues that you just may suppose are easy and you discover out that they’re truly very difficult. I’ve been approaching lots of this with humility, and counting on the people who I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% need to depend on my teammates to arrange me and maintain me up after I make errors.
I might say two issues:
- In the event you’re serious about working right here, don’t suppose twice. You must positively discover alternatives with us, and apply whenever you see one thing that may very well be a superb match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so certain about HealthSherpa, for no matter motive – contemplate the place you might be and the influence you’re making the place you might be, after which contemplate the potential influence you might make engaged on one thing that may assist resolve such an enormous drawback. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you get pleasure from, and understanding the way it will profit folks in an enormous method.
Need to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal workforce? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!